We all want that pearly white smile that can light up a room. Unfortunately, our teeth tend to become stained over time due to habits like smoking, drinking coffee, and eating colored foods. Cosmetic dentistry is where it comes into play with a non-invasive procedure known as teeth whitening. Teeth whitening has become a popular cosmetic dental procedure, so we offer teeth whitening here at Main Street Dental in North Baltimore, Ohio, for all our patients looking to brighten their smiles! However, there are many different methods of teeth whitening, each with its advantages and disadvantages.
Understanding Teeth Whitening: What Is It?
Teeth whitening is the process of lightening the natural color pigments in the enamel of your teeth. It is done by removing surface stains, such as those caused by coffee and smoking, and increasing the brightness of the enamel. There are two main categories of teeth whitening: professional treatments and at-home remedies. The most common in-office treatments are performed with a safe UV light to accelerate chemical reactions that help remove the stains.
Can Everyone Receive Teeth Whitening?
Not everyone is a good candidate for teeth whitening, as some people may have underlying oral health issues, such as:
- Tooth decay
- Gum disease, which can make teeth whitening painful or ineffective.
- Pregnant or nursing women
- People with extreme tooth sensitivity
- People allergic to ingredients in whitening products, root canal therapy, and severe enamel wear should avoid tooth whitening.
Additionally, over-whitening teeth can lead to further damage, so Speaking with Dr. Mike O’Neill or Dr. Emily Spetka before getting your teeth whitened is essential.
Applications of In-Office and At-Home Whitening Methods
We’re sure you’ve seen the treatments you can receive from over-the-counter products, but did you know that in-office treatments are far more effective? Let’s look at what in-office and at-home treatments entail to help you further decide if receiving professional teeth whitening is right for you!
In-office treatments are administered directly by the dentist and take 60 to 90 minutes to complete. The result is a considerably lighter tooth color than at-home remedies like Whitening Strips, Whitening Toothpaste, over-the-counter whitening trays, and paint-on tooth whitener.
At-home remedies are a more affordable and convenient option but may take several weeks to show visible results, and the outcomes depend on the effort made by the patient.
Maintenance Tips After Teeth Whitening
After you’ve obtained the desired brightness for your teeth, maintaining your teeth whitening result isn’t too tricky! Some tips and tricks to keep your smile bright and beautiful are:
- Avoid Food and Drink that Stain: Avoid food and drink that can cause staining, such as coffee, tea, red wine, beets, and soy sauce.
- No Smoking: Smoking is injurious to health and stains your teeth.
- Oral Hygiene: Ensure brushing twice daily with fluoride-based toothpaste and flossing daily to help keep stains at bay.
- Routine Check-ups: Finally, regularly spacing out dental appointments every six months is essential to ensure the teeth stay as bright and healthy as possible. Dr. Mike O’Neill and Dr. Emily Spetka would love to see you, help prevent problems, and provide you with the best oral health care!
Brighten Your Smile With Teeth Whitening in North Baltimore, OH
A brighter smile is not only aesthetically pleasing but also boosts your confidence. Understanding the different teeth whitening treatments and what works best for your teeth is critical. Consult with Dr. Mike O’Neill or Dr. Emily Spetka at Main Street Dental before choosing the whitening method. Remember, health concerns can prevent you from receiving teeth whitening, so always be sure to consult the dentists before deciding anything. Dr. Mike O’Neill and Dr. Emily Spetka and their excellent team are here to provide the answers you need and help you figure out the best dental treatments for you and your goals.
Schedule a consultation at Main Street Dental today and get the bright smile you’ve always wanted! Happy Whitening!